Monday, April 4, 2011

Inspiration



The first piece that inspires me is Love Lost in a Hail of Gunfire by Bleeding Through. This song is important to me because most contemporary songs are easy for me to predict music-wise and the musical arrangements in this song are completely unpredictable to me. I love when bands can create things that don't follow that typical patterns that most bands do. For example, there is a great example of tension and release at 2:43, where typical patterns would break off into the release earlier than this song does. By extending this tension they earn a lot of respect from me for being different and doing different things. I love that they contrast typical metal music in that they don't follow the structure, but at the same time they are the same as other metal bands. As an aspiring music producer I want to be able to be a part of creating original music that isn't so predictable. This inspires me to help create more creative content and not just follow formulas that are known to sell.





The second thing that is inspiring to me is the band Chameleon Circuit who writes songs about the TV show Doctor Who. Over the summer my friend and I were listening to this song and talking about what other things that they should make songs about. Suddenly we realized that we could write songs about what we wanted songs about and decided to start working on my own stuff. Right now we have some things in first draft form and this summer we plan to do a lot of work on them and eventually make an album. Some of the cool things about these songs is that you don't necessarily need to know the show to enjoy the songs. My mom who hasn't seen the show but she likes listening to them because there are subtexts to the song that don't require you to be familiar with the main upfront texts. The guys in Chameleon Circuit are also vloggers who make videos on YouTube which is also something I've started considering getting into.





On the topic of YouTube and vlogging, this is an idea that I've been considering for a while and after I saw this video I decided it's something that I should start. Having some sort of record of myself for posterity never sounded important to me before, but something about the way he explains it in this video makes sense to me. Making a YouTube channel and having a way to publicize my creative endeavors is something that I think I really need to start doing. I also think that having a way to express my opinions and find other people who have the same opinions and interests that I may not otherwise meet is a benefit to starting this. Hopefully I will get this started over the summer if not sooner and it will be something that I will be able to continue with for a couple years and it will be something that benefits my life and lifestyle that I desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment